Sunday, January 24, 2010

Another 101 Things to Do

Number 1 zero Educational Brick Number 1

letter T o D oletter S

I'm a list maker. It's how I get things done and organize my thoughts. I came across this idea of making a list of 101 things that you want to do. The challenge is to complete the list in about 1001 days. I don't know where I first heard about this idea, but here is a site that keeps track of participants and their lists. This is my second attempt. Last go around I completed about 40% of my list.

My start date is Sunday January 24, 2010
My finish date is Sunday, October 21, 2012

The Mission:
Complete 101 preset tasks in a period of 1001 days.

The Criteria:
Tasks must be specific (ie. no ambiguity in the wording) with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined. Tasks must also be realistic and stretching (ie. represent some amount of work on my part).

Why 1001 Days?
Many people have created lists in the past - frequently simple goals such as new year's resolutions. The key to beating procrastination is to set a deadline that is realistic. 1001 Days (about 2.75 years) is a better period of time than a year, because it allows you several seasons to complete the tasks, which is better for organising and timing some tasks such as overseas trips or outdoor activities.

Some common goal setting tips:
1. Be decisive. Know exactly what you want, why you want it, and how you plan to achieve it.

2. Stay Focused. Any goal requires sustained focus from beginning to end. Constantly evaluate your progress.

3. Welcome Failure. Frequently, very little is learned from a venture that did not experience failure in some form. Failure presents the opportunity to learn and makes the success more worthy.

4. Write down your goals. It clarifies your thinking and reinforces your commitment.

5. Keep your goals in sight. Review them frequently, and ensure that they are always at the forefront of your thinking.

My 101 Things To Do
(items carried from my previous list in bold)
1. Read the Bible in a year
2. Memorize a specific passage of scripture
3. Memorize a specific passage of scripture
4. Memorize 6 Bible verses every Christian should know
5. Prayer journal daily for 30 days
6. Read Top 10 Most Popular Christian Books
7. Read 3 Biographies / Autobiographies of Missionaries
8. Read The Lion, the Witch and The Wardrobe with Grom
9. Do something to help a kid in Foster Care
10. Do something else to help a kid in Foster Care
11. Decide about cremation vs burial
12. Travel to Ireland with Surferman
13. Visit Jennie in Massachusetts
14. Visit Shoreline Calvary London Greenwich
15. Take Grom to Hawaii
16. Visit San Diego
17. Visit Pasadena
18. Family Mission Trip
19. Take a cruise

20. VanderWal Family Reunion

21. Take a Surf Trip
22. See the Aurora Borealis
23. Renew Passports
24.
Get passport for Grom

25. Finish "Color Block" quilt
26. Finish "VW Bus" quilt
27. Finish Grom's First Year scrapbook
28. Participate and complete a quilt-a-long
29.
Do something creative with the enlarged photo of Grom when he was a baby

30. Make felt baby booties
31. Make headband
32. Celebrate a Christmas with all homemade gifts
33. Learn how to crochet
34. Knit a sweater
35. Crochet myself 3 beanies
36. Sell something on Etsy
37. Buy something for me at Old Navy
38. Call Mimi once a week for 6 months - after that it should be habit
39. Call Mom & Bob once a week for 6 months - same idea
40. (within reason and safety) Don't say "no" to Grom for a day
41. Do something specific to bless Surferman everyday for a month
42. Go puddle jumping with Grom
43. Go body boarding with Surferman and Grom
44. Learn how to surf
45. Set up 5 Fat Files
46. Finally and completely manage our "papers"
47. Pay off the house
48. Make a will
49.
Get rid of our HELOC

50. Declutter 1001 things - paper and garbage don't count
51.
Complete Family Mission Statement

52.
Design and Frame Family Mission Statement

53. Establish laundry routine and work it for 2 months
54. Complete Organizing Challenge (February 2010)
55.
Paint our bedroom

56. New floors in our bedroom
57. New curtains in our bedroom
58. One month without eating out
59. Find a letterbox
60. Customize my blog template (myself)
61. Blog daily, 365 days in a row
62. Project 365
63. Save for a digital SLR and learn how to really use it
64. Take a self portrait every day for a year
65.
65 subscribers to My pursuit of...

66. Go a whole day unplugged - no computer, no music, no news, etc.
67. Plant a lettuce garden
68. Plant a herb garden
69.
Revive my African Violets

70.

Give away my African Violets -except the one in the orange pot (of course)

71.
Get a facial

72. Nap in a hammock
73. Go to bed before 10pm everyday for a month
74. Get up by 5:30am everyday for a month
75. Pierce my tragus
76. Donate blood
77. Go to a Dodger game
78.
Watch "The Office"

79. Teach Grom how to ride a bike
80. Learn 100 new words to increase my vocabulary81. Track food (every single bite) at MyMedifast for 30 days
82. Floss everyday for a month
83. Determine my Wii Fit age
84. Take 10 years off my Wii Fit age
85. Get Wii Fit age to at least 5 years less than my current age
86. Weigh 300
87. Weigh 250
88. Weigh 200
89. Weigh 165
90. Exercise at least 3 times a week for a month.
91. Exercise 5 times a week for a year.
92. Take a Hawaiian Dance class
93. Complete the Rock to Pier Run / Walk
94. Climb Bishop's Peak
95. Walk on the beach once a week all summer (Memorial Day to Labor Day)
96. Go to lunch or coffee with someone who scares me
97. Watch all the movies "based on a Jane Austen novel"
98. Say no to something that I'd usually say yes to
99. Say yes to something that I'd usually say no to
100. Sleep under the stars
101. Write another 101 Things to do list

Watch for updates as I cross things off my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment