My start date is Saturday April 28, 2007.
My finish date is Saturday January 23, 2010.
Complete 101 preset tasks in a period of 1001 days.
Tasks must be specific (ie. no ambiguity in the wording) with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined. Tasks must also be realistic and stretching (ie. represent some amount of work on my part).
Why 1001 Days?
Many people have created lists in the past - frequently simple goals such as new year's resolutions. The key to beating procrastination is to set a deadline that is realistic. 1001 Days (about 2.75 years) is a better period of time than a year, because it allows you several seasons to complete the tasks, which is better for organising and timing some tasks such as overseas trips or outdoor activities.
Some common goal setting tips:
1. Be decisive. Know exactly what you want, why you want it, and how you plan to achieve it.
2. Stay Focused. Any goal requires sustained focus from beginning to end. Constantly evaluate your progress.
3. Welcome Failure. Frequently, very little is learned from a venture that did not experience failure in some form. Failure presents the opportunity to learn and makes the success more worthy.
4. Write down your goals. It clarifies your thinking and reinforces your commitment.
5. Keep your goals in sight. Review them frequently, and ensure that they are always at the forefront of your thinking.
My 101 Things To Do
- Read the Bible in a year - started January 1, 2009
- Memorize Psalm 19
- Memorize Psalm 8
- Decide about cremation vs burial
- Research traveling to Ireland with Surferman
- Travel with Surferman to Australia
Family Trip to Maui
- Research trip to Costa Rica with Surferman
Take Duke and Surferman to DisneylandWe went Sept 2008. Wish I had blogged about it.
- Visit Jennie in Massachusetts
Visit Surferman's parents in Washington StateIt was a great trip! May 2008
- Renew Passports
- Get passport for Grom
Take a weekend camping trip- completed 6/3/2007
- Finish "Color Block" quilt
- Finish "VW Bus" quilt
- Finish "Progressive" quilt
- Finish "Mykonos" quilt
- Finish Grom's First Year scrapbook
Give away my knitted washclothsI passed them out to my quilting friends. Someday I'll have to blog about those wonderful ladies. We've been meeting forever. Digiscrap 2007 Jeep Jamboree picturesunable to complete - the guys didn't take pictures
- Make felt baby booties
- Make headband
- Do something with an empty Altoid's box
- Sell a quilt
- Celebrate a Christmas with all homemade gifts
- Sell a "Cozy Cart Cootie Catcher"
- Learn how to crochet
- Knit a sweater
- Digiscrap the things I'm grateful for - count my blessings -make a book to remember and review
Nanowrimo GeMoOrgNocompleted 11/30/2007
- Get to know Kelsey
- Get to know Nicole
- Set up 5 Fat Files
Blog daily for one monthsee #31
- Write a "Letter to the Editor" about something I'm passionate about
Find out the name of the Fedex Ground Guy- completed 6/6/2007 His name is Tom. Send ten encouraging anonymous postcardsSo much fun, I'm going to keep doing it.
- Read 5 C.S. Lewis books
Read 10 fiction novelscompleted 4/22/2008
- Read 3 biographies or autobiographies
Make a lifestyle change that is better for the environment- Reusable grocery bags! Make another lifestyle change that is better for the environment- CF light bulb all through the house!
- Get to work somehow other than driving my car
- Save all $5 bills for a month and do something fun with Grom
- Stay on budget for a month
- Stay on budget for a quarter
- Stay on budget for a year
- Pay off the house
- Make a will
- Get life insurance
- One month without eating out
- Take Grom to a park every day of a week
- Read to Grom until he tells me to stop
Build a huge fort with Grom
- Do an activity from Family Fun Magazine
- Make the cupcake of the month from Family Fun Magazine
Sleep in a tent with Grom in the front yard- Done! I can't remember when, but I remember it was during a heat wave. It was over 100F at 9 pm. Still fun.
- Find a letterbox
Family trip to the Drive In movie- Horton Hears a Who. Grom was scared. Get an external hard drive and keep computer backed upMac's Rock! Woo Hoo for Time Machine! Change my blog templatecompleted 5/3/2007
- Customize my blog template (myself)
Create 3 iTunes playlists Get a Maccompleted 11/19/2007
- Learn how to transfer and edit video on computer
- Transfer all CDs to iTunes
Set up monster multi CD playerSold it!
- Go a whole day unplugged - no computer, no music, no news, etc.
- Make Tom Kha Gai Soup
Complete Organizing Junkie's Organization Challenge- completed 5/2/2007 Really de-clutter closet
- Plant a lettuce garden - planned 2009
- Get a facial
Wash my face every night for a month- completed 6/16/2007 Wear makeup every day for a month- started 6/23/2007 Wear earrings every day for a month- started 6/23/2007
- Nap in a hammock
- Pierce my tragus
- Go to a Dodger game
Go to a Blues game- completed 6/23/2007 Go to a play- We went to the wonderful Great American Melodrama last week. Might not be as cultured as a play, but we had a great time. 12/14/2008
- Weigh 175
- Complete the Rock to Pier Run
- Climb Bishop's Peak
- Eat breakfast daily for two weeks - started
- Stop drinking soda (100 days) - started
6/18/2007 6/21/2007 4/23/200812/21/08
- Walk on the beach once a week all summer (Memorial Day to Labor Day) planned start 5/2009
- Play a season of softball with Surferman on church team
Plan and execute the best 4WD Club Christmas Party ever! Find out about "Synchro De Maio"
- Take a ballroom dancing lesson
Romantic getaway with Surferman- I believe Maui would count. Sunset Picnic on the beach- completed 6/21/2007 Don't say no, even if I'm tired, don't want to, or "have a headache"
- Throw a Tea Party with women I barely know, but would like to know better
Send a care package to a soldier in Iraqcompleted 5/29/2007 Say no to something that I'd usually say yes to- I DID NOT help with a major event at church. We went as a participant. It was weird.
- Say yes to something that I'd usually say no to -
- Write another 101 Things to dolist
I tried to group my list into similar things. Things on my list fall into categories like... God, Travel, Creativity, Parenting, Marriage. Hey, those are a lot like the categories of the labels for my blog posts. Watch for updates as I cross things off my list.