Thursday, February 12, 2009

"With all lowliness and gentleness,

with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love." Ephesians 4:2

Expectations.
Expectation is the root of all heartache.
William Shakespeare
I don't totally agree with Will, but I do know that unrealistic expectations can get you into a mess quick. I often have unrealistic expectations for myself (you should see my to do list). I have God, Surferman, some good friends, and family to keep me in check. My expectations for myself can depress me and drive me crazy.

Unfortunately the unrealistic expectations sometimes pass on to Surferman.

I expect him to be romantic.
I expect him to be godly.
I expect him to be sensitive.
I expect him to take care of my needs and my whims.
I expect him... you get it.

He is human. Flesh and bones and sin... just like me.

Only God can provide for all of our needs.
Only God is forever.
Only God is God. Surferman is not God. He can't be God.
I can't expect him to act like God.

And if I don't... my marriage has a chance at being awesome.

Read more about the 30-Day Husband Encouragement Challenge, and check out Kelli's blog, "Embracing the JOurYney.." as she leads us through it.

Just two rules:
You can't say anything negative about your husband . . . to your husband . . . or to anyone else, about your husband.
Say something that you admire or appreciate about your husband. . . to your husband . . . and to someone else, about your husband!

No comments:

Post a Comment