Thursday, December 31, 2009

The week I sound like a brat when I should be counting my blessings - Week 8

originally posted at my Medifast blog

I lost 3 lbs this week. 38.2 lbs total.

Here's the part where I sound like a spoiled brat... I'm disappointed. Feel free to throw rotten canned tomatoes (they're on plan), but please remove them from the can first.

Earlier this week during one of my quick on and off the scales (that don't really count as weighing) I saw a number that would have put me at a total loss of over 40 lbs. It also would have brought me to my first 10% weight loss goal. I was very excited.

Today I saw a higher number.
It was a lower number than I've seen in forever.
It was a number that represented a very respectable weight loss for my 8th week on a diet.
It was a weight loss that most people would happily take.

Still it took me most of the morning to get over it... to get over myself.

The other day I was complimented on how I was staying on plan and doing such a good job with Medifast. I would've thought that the words out of my mouth would be something like, "Medifast is great. It's hard but the plan is so simple". Instead I said, "It must be God". The glory for my success has to go to Him. Not to me, not to this plan...He is the one who gives me the strength. He is faithful when I'm faithless. He makes all things possible and He prepared me for this season. And He will get me through when staying on plan becomes a burden.

The past few weeks I can't say that I've forgotten these truths, but I can say that I have gotten a bit big for my britches (actually my britches have gotten a bit big for me, but you get where I'm going). While this time might be for me (to lose weight and regain my health), it's not about me. It's about how God is working in my life. I pray that as the fat comes off, I will grow closer to God and become more like Jesus.

My discovery of the week: parmesan cheese is a FAT! All this time, I thought it was a condiment. (I'm still unsure of the fat vs healthy fat and all that - it's something I need to look into more). It was a reminder that I have to keep reading and checking my lists and not assume that I know the plan.

What have you discovered this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment