Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Got me some culture

I'm just back from the Opera.  

That is something I never thought I'd say.  A mommy friend arranged a Girl's Night Out and 6 of us went to Tosca.  We were supposed to dress up.  I don't dress up much.  The other mommies were beautiful.  I wore silver shoes.

I'd heard of Tosca and am generally up to try new things.  If only attending the opera was on my list of 101 things to do.  Why did I go to the opera?  Plain and simple, I succumbed to mommy pressure.  I love these mommies and if going to the opera allows me the chance to spend some time with them... I'm there.

I wasn't familiar with the story, and it was in Italian.  They had words above the screen so that us non Italian speaking ignorant people could figure out what was going on.   It was a tragic love story.  I guess a lot of operas are tragic love stories.  I enjoyed the sets, the costumes and the singing.  Everyone died.

I don't know if it was because it was not in English or if I was having attention deficit tonight due to too many delicious appetizers pre-opera, but I had trouble focusing.  

I thought about the opera company (from Europe) and what it must be like to tour the United States doing the same opera night after night.  
I thought about who would fill in for the leads if one of them were to get that cough that is going around.  
I thought about how old most of the people at the opera were.  
I thought about how much I had paid to sit in that seat and how I should start paying attention. 
I thought about...  well enough of my rambling thoughts.

Bottom line, it's was nice to get together with the gals, but next time I'm looking for culture in a vanilla yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment