Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Daybook December 23, 2008

FOR TODAY... Tuesday December 28, 2008

Outside My Window... DARK. And it's Tuesday not the usual Monday.

I am thinking... about what I need to do tomorrow before we leave for Christmas Eve at Surferman's Sister's Home.

I am thankful for... quiet car rides with Surferman listening to Christmas music on the radio and the soft snoring of Grom in the back seat.

From the kitchen... Cookie dough is in the fridge waiting to be rolled and cut. Grom bought some animal cookie cutters at a garage sale on Saturday. We might be having Christmas Animal Cookies if I can't talk him into stars and trees and...

From the schoolroom... We are still limping through "Prayer for a Child". The season's busyness has slowed us down.

I am wearing... my blue thermal nightshirt, so comfy...

I am creating... a Christmas Card to distribute via email (I decided it's not tacky)

I am going... to bed. Of course I'll finish this first.

I am reading... I finished the Yadas! I should've found a good non-fiction book, but instead picked up a Lisa Samson book, "Tiger Lillie". So far, so good.

I am hoping... Grom's latest cold will relent and that this will be the last one he gets this winter.

I am hearing... the weather report. Rain is on the way!

Around the house... you know that Christmas poem that goes, "not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse"? Well, it's not entirely true around here. We have a RAT in our utility room (like a garage). Mud, our cat, is on the job. I hope she gets him quick. YUCK!

One of my favorite things... herbal scents. Lavendar, Peppermint, Rosemary, ahhh....

A Few Plans For The Rest Of The Week: Christmas Eve (including the infamous Dice Game) at Surferman's Sisters, Christmas Eve at my parents church (sigh... I'd rather go to our church, but the timing messes with my parents dinner plans), Waffles and presents Christmas mornings, Christmas Cracked Crab Feast, Friday Family Game Night and on Monday, Grom leaves for a week of camping (in a 30+ foot motorhome) with my parents.

Here are some pictures I am sharing...This is a Yule Log that our friend Joan made. She designed it herself using a store bought angel food cake. Frosting held it together and marshmallows and chocolate kisses made the mushroom decorations. It was adorable. I don't know anything about the tradition behind Yule Logs. I guess Google is my next stop.

Update!: Guess what... Yule Logs are pagan. I just skimmed, but read about a god of intoxicating spirits and feasting (that was enough for me). I still think Joan was creative. But I won't be making a Yule Log next year. Maybe a stump of Jesse?

Read other Daybook's at Peggy's Blog, The Simple Woman.

2 comments:

  1. The Yule Log is the only thing I'm pretty disgusted by as far as all of the traditions go. The log itself used to represent something other than a log, and I'll leave it at that. I think a Jesse Stump would be a great alternative.

    I'm stoked for all of your fun Christmas celebrations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun and creative spin on the log!

    Merry Christmas Robin! Safe travels.

    Joy and Peace,
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete