Friday, August 20, 2010

Dream Dinners - Baked Fish and Chips - Review

Here's something new... reviews of the meals I purchase and prepare from Dream Dinners.

Dream Dinners provides everything needed to assemble dinners for the freezer. They have easy-to-follow instructions and pre-cut ingredients. I choose 6-9 meals from their (new every month) menu of 14 or so items. I started going when I was dieting hoping it would be an easy way to feed the rest of my family a healthy meal. Every month, I'm faced with their menu of items to choose. I have brief descriptions and from those choose the things I think Surferman and Grom will like. Here's my review of another meal.

Baked Fish and Chips
What's in the bag?
fish
batter mixture
breading mixture
tartar sauce
french fries

What you do at home?
spray two baking sheets with cooking spray
spread french fries on one sheet
pour breading mixture on other sheet
dip fish pieces in batter and then roll in bread crumbs
bake at 425F for about 25 minutes

Thoughts during preparation:
The batter mixture was really thick. A lot of it didn't get used and I threw a lot of it away.
The tartar sauce looks good - full of dill.

What did I serve it with?
I made an easy coleslaw - shredded cabbage and TJ's sweet poppy seed dressing.

So... How did it taste?
The fish was mild with good texture. The breading was crispy but not greasy. Surferman thought it was a little bland. I thought it had a nice spice - just enough heat. The tartar sauce was tasty although the texture was not as creamy as traditional. The french fries were fine.

Would I purchase this meal again?
This preparation was much healthier than purchasing fish filets and french fries at the grocery store. It was also considerably more expensive. As this isn't a meal that my family eats routinely, I'd probably buy from the market next time.

Preparation: 7 (out of 10)
Presentation: 7
Taste: 8

By the way: I can't share recipes. I don't have them and they belong to the nice folks at Dream Dinners anyway. I am not compensated in any way for my review and these are our opinions of the meals we purchased and prepared. As ovens, moods and cooking skills vary so might your experience with this same meal.

And... if you are one of my local friends and would like to give Dream Dinners a try, let me know. I might be able to hook you up.

No comments:

Post a Comment