Monday, June 09, 2008

Mt Washmore - more thoughts

I'm on my second day of being diligent about laundry.  Big deal, you say.  I say, I have to start somewhere and here I am - day 2.  Don't worry, I won't be posting every day about my laundry.

Today I found a kindred spirit - a woman who like me doesn't enjoy doing the laundry; a woman who dreads doing laundry.  If she likes chocolate and coffee, I know we could be great friends.  This Flourishing Mother, Andrea recently posted about Textile Management.  (Make it sound fancy and it's still washing dirty clothes - sigh).  

She shared a heart changing quote...
Even so seemingly non transcendent an act as putting clothing away can be a gesture of memory or of hope. We put laundry away in drawers and closets in the expectation that another day or season will come when we will need those things again. We pack away baby clothes in boxes in the hope that another child or grandchild will be added to the family or that an opportunity will come to pass things along to others who will use them. We save articles of clothing that belonged to a loved one who died, remembering the body that used to be clothed in these things and hoping for the day when our bodies and theirs will finally be truly, gloriously clothed.
~Margaret Kim Peterson 
Keeping House: The Litany of Everyday Life
and then Andrea summed it up so beautifully...
Doing laundry is symbolic of hope in our family. Hope that a body will be here tomorrow to wear the folded garments. After reading this quote, I see laundry for my family is a privilege, not a burden. I may still not enjoy it, but I will see the good in it.
Finally... hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment