Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Yellow Ball / My Blue Boat


I combined these books because I was under the mistaken idea that I had fallen behind. I've come to realize that I can't be behind...
  1. I set the schedule
  2. Grom is just 3 years old
  3. This is supposed to be fun and if fun takes longer than a week - so be it
From the outset I need to confess that these books didn't do a whole lot for me. Maybe I've been spoiled with Goodnight Moon and Blueberries for Sal.

We followed some of the curriculum ideas for both of the books.

Here is some extra stuff I added...
The Yellow Ball - About the Story (mollybang.com) - more interesting for me than Grom
Sailboat Coloring Page
Another Sail Boat Coloring Page

Books we enjoyed that tied to these books...
  • Scuffy the Tugboat - video (there are multiple stories on this tape - one of the stories has Scuffy dreaming about going to the sea and then going)
  • Tub toys by Terry Miller Shannon & Timothy Warner ; illustrations by Lee Calderon
  • Goose by Molly Bang
  • Captain Bob sets sail by Roni Schotter ; illustrated by Joe Cepeda.
  • The red ball by Joanna Yardley - Grom immediately started finding the red ball on each page
  • Jesse Bear's tra-la tub by Nancy White Carlstrom ; illustrated by Bruce Degen
  • Bathtime piggywiggy by Christyan and Diane Fox - this is a cute book with fold out pages - including a page about SURFING!
We had a great time making boats out of aluminum foil with paper sails. We sailed them in our jacuzzi. I was surprised at how I could blow the boats around the pool.

3 comments:

  1. I know you're done with this, but if you decide to revisit, my boys loved "Scuppers the Sailor Dog" by Margaret Wise Brown, who wrote "Goodnight Moon." You're doing a great job! It took me..oh..five years to realize I'm in charge, not my schedule. Have fun.

    Rebecca (triplethreat)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, so it's been awhile since you wrote this post, but anyway...are you still enjoying BFIAR? I am contemplating starting the program with my 3 yr old daughter. I have the master book. I just need to set it up and go. Just wondered what your thoughts on all of it are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like BIFIAR. We have some great memories and have read some wonderful books.

    The biggest drawback for me is that it requires planning. If I don't make a plan for the week it's easy to skip it.

    My mom has started doing Letter of the Week with him too.

    It's fun to learn with him.

    ReplyDelete