Monday, December 19, 2005

Save money by reusing zipper bags.

Zipper storage bags are super convienent (did I spell that right? It's one of those words I can never spell close enough for spell check to fix) but they can get spendy.

Many a frugal folk washes and reuses these bags. I can't stand the mess of plastic bags strewn around the kitchen drying. I don't dry my handwash dishes with a towel so why would I use on to dry a baggie? And there is no possible way to get into all of those corners.

I do something a little different. I wash them, but I don't dry them.

Instead I give them a good shake, fold them in quarters and tuck them into the freezer. Any water on the bag freezes. When I need a zipper bag, I pull one out of the freezer, shake off any ice crystals and load it up with whatever leftovers I'm storing.

I use new baggies for dry items like crackers and bread. But when they are emptied they get the freezer treatment.

By the way... I don't reuse baggies that have had raw meats or greasy foods in them. Some bags just can't be cleaned well enough to be reused.

This also works for those "quick cover" shower caps for bowls.

2 comments:

  1. Great idea to save money! I am going to have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love tips like these. i need to find more sites that talk about frugal living. thanks for leaving a comment on my blog pg. I'll prob pick the winners tomorrow evening.
    :) jen

    ReplyDelete