Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Quiet Time - Mark 5 - When Pigs Fly

Mark 5

What a busy day for Jesus!

First a man who is tormented by not one, not two, but a legion of demons is returned to sanity. The cast out demons are transfered to a herd of swine who meet their death.

I know that as a Christian I cannot be possessed by demons. But I tend to think of the things that I struggle with daily as my demons. I wonder how many pigs would it take? There would be some huge pigs and some baby pigs. Prayerfully as I mature the big pigs would be fewer in number as I am refined. Would I try to control and pen the pigs instead of letting them go to their deaths?

Lord, help me to recognize and hate my sin.

Then Jesus is sought out to heal a young girl. I can only imagine how precious she was to her daddy that he, a ruler of the synagogue, would seek out Jesus. He risked his livelihood, probably all that he knew because he believe that Jesus was the Messiah.

On the way to heal the daughter, another woman was healed. It wasn't an active healing by Jesus. She was unclean, she was taking a chance by approaching such a holy man. She "stole" some of His power. She knew he could make her well. She had the faith to reach out to Him.

Lord, let me have faith like these.

As the group continued to the daughter, they received word that she was dead. Jesus said to the father, "Do not be afraid; only believe". They went to the girl and she was brought back to like.

Lord, let me not be afraid. Let me only believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment