Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Beet Chips

I found a way to get Grom to happily eat veggies. Beet Chips!

They are pretty easy to make. Here's how we do it...

1. preheat your oven to 350F.

I use our convection setting.

2. wash and peel your beets

veggie peeler works great.

3. use a mandolin to slice the beets into thin slices.

Grom has mad knife skills. He respects a sharp blade and is very careful. I was still watching close when he gave the mandolin a spin.

4. spray a cookie sheet with olive oil spray.

I like to use my Pampered Chef stoneware pans.

5. arrange the beets in a single layer. it's ok if they overlap a little bit.

6. give the beets a light spray of olive oil.

I think Grom thought he was spray painting them. He got a bit heavy handed. In his defense, I think spraying cooking spray is fun too.

7. give the beets a gentle sprinkle of salt.

Our last batch was pretty salty. I think I'm going to try giving the sliced beets a salty water bath before cooking next time.

Don't worry if your hands get stained. It just shows that you really made these amazingly yummy chips. (And it comes off pretty easy with a little hand soap.)

8. bake for about 15-20 minutes. flip them over about half way through.

9. chips crisp up as they cool.

10. enjoy!

Be warned, beets can make you think you're having a medical emergency. This too will pass... literally. hee hee.

1 comment:

  1. ian and i still laugh about that time you were talking about beets with us and said they're the only vegetable that can make you ask the question, "am i having a medical emergency? no- it's the beets." i hope you know these beet chips prove you have a hippy side to you :)

    ReplyDelete