Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Quiet Time - Mark 8 - "You are the Christ"

In this chapter of Jesus' ministry, He was surrounded by people - his disciples, the multitudes and those pesky Pharisees. I see myself in each of these groups.

I am like the disciples. I want to follow Jesus wherever He goes. I love the sweet times alone with my Savior. I love to be privy to the miracles He works. I want to listen to what He has to say but sometimes I just don't get it.

I am like the multitude. I come and go. I want to be with the crowd. I love fellowship. I enjoy the blessings He pours out on me when I don't deserve them.

I am like a Pharisee. I want to challenge God and see Him prove Himself faithful. I want a loud and bright sign.

And then...
I get to the end of Chapter 8. My Bible has the subtitle "Cost of Discipleship"

34 When He had called the people to Himself, with His disciples also, He said to them, “Whoever desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. 35 For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake and the gospel’s will save it. 36 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? 37 Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul? 38 For whoever is ashamed of Me and My words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of him the Son of Man also will be ashamed when He comes in the glory of His Father with the holy angels.”

Matthew 8:34-38
Here are His instructions:
Deny myself
Take up my cross - I'm thinking about this one and might be back with more.
Follow Him (Jesus
Don't be ashamed

No comments:

Post a Comment