Wednesday, January 11, 2006

No matter what... I'm a winner!

Blest has posted a contest/challenge to memorize scripture.

I'm always up for winning a prize so I've committed to memorizing Psalm 8. Whether I win the book or not, I know I'm a winner for hiding God's Word in my heart and brain.

Psalm 8 NIV

For the director of music. According to gittith.
A psalm of David.
1 O LORD, our Lord,
how majestic is your name in all the earth!
You have set your glory
above the heavens.

2 From the lips of children and infants
you have ordained praise
because of your enemies,
to silence the foe and the avenger.

3 When I consider your heavens,
the work of your fingers,
the moon and the stars,
which you have set in place,

4 what is man that you are mindful of him,
the son of man that you care for him?

5 You made him a little lower than the heavenly beings
and crowned him with glory and honor.

6 You made him ruler over the works of your hands;
you put everything under his feet:

7 all flocks and herds,
and the beasts of the field,

8 the birds of the air,
and the fish of the sea,
all that swim the paths of the seas.

9 O LORD, our Lord,
how majestic is your name in all the earth!

This Psalm has sweet memories attached to it for me.

For a while I was learning Inductive Bible Study Techniques from a very smart young wife. She was teaching me how to study the Word and I was teaching her homekeeping things. I think she got the shorter end of the stick. For one of our meetings I was supposed to teach her about Psalm 8. I didn't make time for my assignment. I listened to Psalm 8, over and over, all the way to her house. It was the Max McLean version which is quite dramatic. I started reciting with Max in the same dramatic matter. I was cracking myself up. I didn't use any of the things I had learned, but I fessed up and she still enjoyed hearing what God had spoken to me.

Another memory comes from a recording session at church. My Pastor was recording a song and wanted people reading verse 1 over and over. There were 3 of us speaking the verse in a round. We were supposed to stress a different word in the verse each time we said it. So one time it would be "OH Lord, Our Lord" and the next time it would be "Oh LORD, Our Lord". It was hard not to crack up, great fun and a wonderful memory. The song is available on the web, but if I posted a link, I'd be giving away some of the privacy that I desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment